The Dangers of Xylitol

Did you know that Xylitol, a sugar substitute (artificial sweetener) that's found in chewing gum, hard candy, gum drops, sugar-free pudding, jello, diabetic foods, baked goods and toothpaste, can be fatal to pets?

To keep your pets safe from this harmful substance, please keep foods containing Xylitol, well out of their reach. It could save their lives. Even a very small amount of Xylitol can be potentially life-threatening.

Xylitol causes mass insulin release in dogs, leading to sudden hypoglycemia, a drop in blood sugar levels. Dogs can show symptoms in as little as 20 minutes, or as late as 12 hours. Symptoms include ataxia (staggering gait), depression, lethargy, confusion, seizures & in some cases, death.

If you suspect your pet has eaten a food or candy containing Xylitol, call your local emergency vet immediately to let them know you're on your way, and go straight there for urgent treatment. You can also call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for advice, on (888) 426-4435 but it is crucial not to delay medical attention because of the very sudden effects of consumption.