- Vitamin A is fat soluble, and important for skin, eyes, mouth, intestines and reproduction. It is found in Liver, egg yolk and milk. Beta Carotene, a related compound, is found in yellow and orange colored fruits and vegetables like carrot and sweet potato, as well as leafy greens.
- The B Vitamins are water soluble and necessary for a whole array of functions including metablism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates and enzyme formation. Foods rich in B vitamins include liver, beans, organs, legumes and some grains.
- Vitamin C is water soluble and necessary for collagen formation. It is also an antioxidant. It is prevalent in fresh fruits and some vegetables. Some people thoerize that Vitamin C is not an essential vitamin for dogs since they manufacture it in their own bodies - however many holistic vets advocate vitamin C supplementation for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Vitamin D is fat soluble, and necessary for the proper regulation of calcium and phosphorus in the body. Yogurt and cottage cheese are good sources of Vitamin D.
- Vitamin E is fat soluble. It is found in spinach as well as wheatgerm- safflower- and sunflower oils. It is an antioxidant and regulates prostaglandin.
- Vitamin K is Fat Soluble and essential for blood clotting. It is found in leafy greens including spinach, turnip greens and broccoli.
- Folic Acid is water soluble, and found in dark leafy greens and liver. It is needed for genetic transfer.
- Biotin is water soluble and necessary for protein construction. Biotin is found in oats, egg yolk and liver.
- Choline is a water soluble vitamin whose role is in liver function and nerve transmission.
- Inositol is water soluble, and plays a part in fat metabolism.
Here's just a quick primer on the vitamins that are important for cats and dogs. Vitamins are only required in minute amounts, but they are critical for life.
Posted by Tracksie and Tiggles